#1 ptsingh

Dhan Dhan Guru Shaabaash Hai

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Pardeep Singh Nagra
http://www.wingluke....SinghNagra.html
Posted Image

In late 1999, Pardeep Singh Nagra – light-flyweight boxing champion of Ontario – was not allowed to box at the Canadian Championships by the Canadian Amateur Boxing Association because he refused to shave his beard which is a mandatory article of faith for Sikhs. Arguing his case, courts ultimately reversed the decision, calling upon the Canadian Amateur Boxing Association to end religious discrimination, uphold the Canadian Human Rights Act and Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and allow Nagra to compete without being forced to shave his beard. Today he serves in the Canadian Police and also works on various social justice issues.

#2 AmardeepSingh

Galee(n) Jog Naa Hoee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

He said from a Religious perspective the turban is only for Sikhs but the bible (old testament) also states that God commanded Moses to wear a turban. I think he should have said something like Sikhs are the only ones who still wear the Turban as required by their religion; others may do so for cultural reasons

Leviticus 8

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Bring Aaron and his sons, along with their sacred garments, the anointing oil, the bull for the sin offering, the two rams, and the basket of bread made without yeast, and call the entire community of Israel together at the entrance of the Tabernacle. "

So Moses followed the LORD's instructions, and the whole community assembled at the Tabernacle entrance. Moses announced to them, "This is what the LORD has commanded us to do!" Then he presented Aaron and his sons and washed them with water. He put the official tunic on Aaron and tied the sash around his waist. He dressed him in the robe, placed the ephod on him, and attached the ephod securely with its decorative sash. Then Moses placed the chestpiece on Aaron and put the Urim and the Thummim inside it. He placed the turban on Aaron's head and attached the gold medallion—the badge of holiness—to the front of the turban, just as the LORD had commanded him.

#3 Sara Pall

*New Member* - Welcome to DiscoverSikhi.com

• 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hey
Whats up!
I am really impress by the Sikh's that they follow their culture no matter what conditions are there i think it seems easy to follow this kind of tradition but in real it is so difficult....no one following their culture in this world completely but you people are doing this from many years so heads off to you man actually i am a student and i have just completed my a+ training and now i am free so i just love reading posts and commenting on them....actually i have some questions that what is the logic behind this turban?and why you people have so much faith on it..!!!!

#4 Canuck Singh

Mera Mujh Mai Kich Nahee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

Awesome. Interestingly these documents protect our rights, we should work to spread such important documents to most if not all nations of the world
"Dwelling deep within, we will discover that our lives are a manifestation of the Divine Source - Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings."
Posted Image
http://sikhinspiredf...orums-free.com/

#5 PritamSinghKhalsa

Meethay Har Gun Gaavo Jindoo Too

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:I like to like :)

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

He said from a Religious perspective the turban is only for Sikhs but the bible (old testament) also states that God commanded Moses to wear a turban. I think he should have said something like Sikhs are the only ones who still wear the Turban as required by their religion; others may do so for cultural reasons

Leviticus 8

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Bring Aaron and his sons, along with their sacred garments, the anointing oil, the bull for the sin offering, the two rams, and the basket of bread made without yeast, and call the entire community of Israel together at the entrance of the Tabernacle. "

So Moses followed the LORD's instructions, and the whole community assembled at the Tabernacle entrance. Moses announced to them, "This is what the LORD has commanded us to do!" Then he presented Aaron and his sons and washed them with water. He put the official tunic on Aaron and tied the sash around his waist. He dressed him in the robe, placed the ephod on him, and attached the ephod securely with its decorative sash. Then Moses placed the chestpiece on Aaron and put the Urim and the Thummim inside it. He placed the turban on Aaron's head and attached the gold medallion—the badge of holiness—to the front of the turban, just as the LORD had commanded him.

Ezekiel 44
17 ” ‘When they enter the gates of the inner court, they are to wear linen clothes; they must not wear any woolen garment while ministering at the gates of the inner court or inside the temple. 18 They are to wear linen turbans on their heads and linen undergarments around their waists.

Basically as Sikhs when nonAmritdhari Sikhs enter the Gurdwara they are to cover their head(they should tie a turban also not put on a rumala) And what I get out of this scripture for Sikhs is saying Wear a nice material turban and wear a Kurta Pajama/Chola and the hazooria/kamarkassa(not regular jeans and a tshirt or slacks and a button up shirt)

and from the qoute that Amardeep Singh added I feel the Khanda Sahib is the last addition to the Turban whether it is the Chand-Torra or Chakar or Khanda Sahib, I feel it adds that last piece of the uniform of a religious person.

:@@

#6 Sukhdeep Singh

Bani Guru Guru Hai Bani

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hey
Whats up!
I am really impress by the Sikh's that they follow their culture no matter what conditions are there i think it seems easy to follow this kind of tradition but in real it is so difficult....no one following their culture in this world completely but you people are doing this from many years so heads off to you man actually i am a student and i have just completed my a+ training and now i am free so i just love reading posts and commenting on them....actually i have some questions that what is the logic behind this turban?and why you people have so much faith on it..!!!!

One of the main reasons why we wear a Tuban is out of respect for God and the hair he has given us. Guru Gobind Singh Ji the 10th master told his Sikhs to love the Kes ( hair) and show it respect. Its why he gave us a turban to cover the hair on the head, and a comb which we put inside our turban. We use this special comb to comb our hair twice a day. In Gurbani ( teachings of the Guru) it is written that God exist closer to us then our own hands.
srby eyku AnykY suAwmI sB Gt BuogvY soeI ]
sarabae eaek anaekai suaamee sabh ghatt bhuogavai soee ||
The One Lord is pervading the many forms; He enjoys Himself in all hearts.

kih rivdws hwQ pY nyrY shjy hoie su hoeI ]4]1]
kehi ravidhaas haathh pai naerai sehajae hoe s hoee ||4||1||
Says Ravi Daas, the Lord is nearer than our own hands and feet. Whatever will be, will be.
Furthermore our Guru says God exists in each hair.
rom rom mih bsih murwir ]
rom rom mehi basehi muraar ||

So for this reason we respect our hair because within the hair exist alot of meditative power. By tying the hair in a topknot and covering it with a turban we meditate on the wonderful creator who created mankind and made it possible for its vision to be manifisted within man.

ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਤੂੰ ਆਇਆ ਲਾਹਾ ਲੈਣਿ ਲਗਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਕੁਫਕੜੇ ਸਭ ਮੁਕਦੀ ਚਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
O mortal, you came here to earn a profit.What useless activities are you attached to? Your life-night is coming to its end. ||1||Pause||

ਜਿਉ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਪ੍ਰਦੇਸ਼ ਜਾਇ , ਨਿਤ ਮਾਰਗ ਕੀ ਆਸ .ਤਿਉ ਆਤਮ ਹਿਤ ਆਚਰੈ, ਚਿਤ ਰਹੀਓ ਉਦਾਸ
When travelling upon any foregin paths the desire should be to keep the soul immersed in the love of God and detached from worldliness-

ਰਾਤਿ ਕਾਰਣ ਆਇ ਇੱਕਠੇ। ਜਿਥੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਹੋਇਆ ਤਿਥੈ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਓੁਠਿ ਜਾਣਿਗੇ। ਇਸ ਕਰਕੈ ਮੋਹ ਲਗਾਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ । ਉਦਾਸੁ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ।
As people collectively come together in the night , but in the day they eventually go their seperate way ; therefore, one should remain detached.

#7 Sukhdeep Singh

Bani Guru Guru Hai Bani

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

Why does he need to put the Dastar in his mouth . There is no reason to do this. A person can tie their dastar without putting it in their mouth?
ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਤੂੰ ਆਇਆ ਲਾਹਾ ਲੈਣਿ ਲਗਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਕੁਫਕੜੇ ਸਭ ਮੁਕਦੀ ਚਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
O mortal, you came here to earn a profit.What useless activities are you attached to? Your life-night is coming to its end. ||1||Pause||

ਜਿਉ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਪ੍ਰਦੇਸ਼ ਜਾਇ , ਨਿਤ ਮਾਰਗ ਕੀ ਆਸ .ਤਿਉ ਆਤਮ ਹਿਤ ਆਚਰੈ, ਚਿਤ ਰਹੀਓ ਉਦਾਸ
When travelling upon any foregin paths the desire should be to keep the soul immersed in the love of God and detached from worldliness-

ਰਾਤਿ ਕਾਰਣ ਆਇ ਇੱਕਠੇ। ਜਿਥੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਹੋਇਆ ਤਿਥੈ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਓੁਠਿ ਜਾਣਿਗੇ। ਇਸ ਕਰਕੈ ਮੋਹ ਲਗਾਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ । ਉਦਾਸੁ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ।
As people collectively come together in the night , but in the day they eventually go their seperate way ; therefore, one should remain detached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users